Some of the
Service Writer duties are as follows:
• Listen to customer description of symptoms; clarify description of problems; conduct inspections; test drive vehicles; check vehicle maintenance records; examine service schedules.
• Verify warranty and service contract coverage by examining records and papers; explain provisions and exclusions.
• Develop estimates by calculating cost of materials, supplies, and labor; present customer payment - including deductibles.
• Prepare repair orders (RO) by describing symptoms, problems, and causes discovered, as well as repairs and services required; obtain approval signatures; enter RO into service database system.
• Maintain customer rapport by explaining estimates and expected return of vehicle; obtain customer approval of estimates; obtain and provide contact telephone numbers; answer questions and concerns.
• Maintain automotive records by recording problems and corrective actions planned.
• Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading manufacturers' publications.